Early Career Mathematicians
In 2005, the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications formed the Younger Members’ Group (YMG) to promote Mathematics to younger members and provide an opportunity for younger members to network. The group was spearheaded by Amanda Padbury, and the main focus of the YMG was two conferences run each year.
The Younger Members’ Conferences provided an opportunity for younger members to network and discuss the activities they would like to see the YMG do in the future. In 2007, it was identified that many of the potential activities were outside the scope of the conferences, and under Dan Tilley’s leadership a committee was set up to provide a focus for the YMG and its activities. In October 2009 the Group changed its name to the Early Career Mathematicians’ (ECM) Group in order to include mature graduates of Mathematics..
The aim of the IMA Early Career Mathematicians’ Committee is to provide a focus for the ideas and activities of the ECM Group, and to engage, empower and mobilise its membership in supporting the IMA’s charitable aims of promoting Mathematics.
Early Career Mathematicians’ are defined as:
- Mathematicians within 15 years of graduating from a university mathematics degree, or
- Members of the IMA who do not have a degree and are within the first 15 years of their membership.
The ECM group has been set up to engage, empower and mobilise Early Career Mathematicians (ECMs), and students of mathematics at university and provide them with support and an opportunity to network. Whilst it is expected that those defined as ECMs and students of mathematics at university will get the most out of this group’s events, everyone is welcome to attend events run by the group.
We hope that you will join us by getting involved. The following are examples of potential activities:
- Two Early Career Mathematicians’ Conferences per year
- Provide input into Mathematics Today, other IMA Journals and our dedicated pages on the IMA website
- Influence the IMA through representatives on the IMA Council and on other IMA Committees (e.g. Professional Affairs, Membership)
- Provide/Receive advice and support on how to upgrade IMA membership or gain Chartership
- Promote the IMA and mathematics to graduates, students (within schools, colleges and universities), businesses and charities
- Provide/Receive advice and guidance on how to set up branches of the IMA in a local area to help promote mathematics further
- Organize/Attend social events with a Mathematics flavour (e.g. a trip to Bletchley park).
Early Career Mathematicians may wish to consider the Institute's chartership schemes for Chartered Mathematician (CMath), Chartered Scientist (CSci) and Chartered Mathematics Teacher (CMathTeach). For more information, please see the pages for Initial Professional Development (IPD) and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Early Career Mathematicians' Conferences
For information on upcoming Early Career Mathematians' Conferences see the IMA Conference Calendar.
Details and reports on past Younger Members and Early Career Mathematicians conferences can be found in the Past Conferences section.
There is some careers information in the Careers section. The Institute also has a professional dimension, and in the Professional section you will find information about companies with IMA approved Graduate Training Schemes, and Initial and Continuing Professional Development.
You are encouraged to contribute to the MathsCareers website. Students appreciate young role models, and if you would like to add your profile please contact Eugene Kidwell.
Early Career Mathematicians may also be interested in our Student page.
If you are interested in getting involved in the activities of the Early Career Mathematicians’ Group, or would like to find out more, please get in touch with any member of the committee directly, or via our dedicated e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org, our FaceBook Group or our LinkedIn Group. Your suggestions and feedback are also very welcome and will be appreciated!