Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships
Are you passionate about maths and want to inspire others? Do you want a career with leadership prospects? Can you see yourself as a teacher in a secondary school? Interested in prestigious Scholarship giving £25,000 and more? If so read on...
What is a Scholarship?
One of the 250 available Scholarships will be a formal recognition of your potential to be an inspirational secondary maths teacher and future leader. It not only brings with it a tax free grant of £25,000 (replacing any teacher training bursary entitlement) but membership of a community where you can share your highs and lows, experiences and queries. It also provides two years free membership, including access to resources and events, of:
- Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
- The London Mathematical Society (www.lms.ac.uk)
- The Royal Statistical Society (www.rss.org.uk)
- Mathematics in Education and Industry (www.mei.org.uk)
More information can be found in the Scholarship Offer.
Click here to find out more about our existing Scholars
Am I Eligible?
You can apply for a Scholarship if you:
- Qualify as a home student for the purpose of provision of student support (see www.gov.uk)
- Have or expect to achieve a First, 2.1 or postgraduate degree (Masters/PhD) in a subject with a strong mathematical content (If you have a 2:2 you may also be eligible if you bring significant relevant experience), OR
- Have completed or will complete a Maths Subject Enhancement Course (SKE) prior to September 2014, OR
- Have a non-mathematical degree with extensive mathematical professional experience
- Have accepted a place on, or are applying for, unsalaried secondary mathematics initial teacher training in England
- Be committed to teaching in England
More information can be found in the Application Criteria.
You do not have to have achieved either the required educational standard (if you are completing your degree during 2013/14) or have been offered a teaching training place in order to apply. We do recommend that you complete any SKE course if possible before applying as this may assist in the level of mathematical knowledge needed to complete the initial and written test.
How do I apply?
Click here for more information about the application process, deadlines and an application form.
If you’ve not done so already, we strongly recommend that you register on the Department for Education’s ‘Get into Teaching’ web pages at www.education.gov.uk/teachregister. You will receive all the latest news and information about getting into teaching as well as access to exclusive one-to-one advice and events as part of their Premier Plus service.
Premier Plus is open to everyone with (or predicted) a first, 2:1 or 2.2 degree who is interested in teaching maths in the 2014-15 academic year. Your scholarship application status does not affect your eligibility for Premier Plus.
See below for downloadable documents below that may help with your application.