Membership grades cover three groups: professional people who qualify for corporate membership, people in various stages of education and initial training prior to obtaining corporate status, and those with an interest in mathematics who wish to participate in learned activities or to support the work of the Institute.
The three groups cover five grades of membership:
- Fellows have an appropriate degree, followed by a minimum of seven years experience and hold a senior managerial or technical position involving the use of, or training in, mathematics.
- Members have an appropriate degree, a minimum period of three years training and experience after graduation and a position of responsibility involving the application of mathematical knowledge or training in mathematics.
Once a corporate member you may apply for Chartered Mathematician status.
Grades Leading to Corporate Status
- Associate Members hold a degree in mathematics, a degree in mathematics in combination with another subject, a joint degree in mathematics with another subject or a degree with a sufficient mathematical component such as would be expected in physics or engineering.
- Students are pursuing a course of study leading to a qualification that meets Associate Member requirements.
Grade for Non-Professional Members
- Affiliate no requirements are necessary for entry into this grade.